Philippine Culture in GMA 7's AMAYA

Thanks to GMA 7, Philippine prime-time shows offered something new to the Filipino viewers.  This time it talks about the Philippine culture that would capture not just the younger generations but Filipinos of all ages.  

Not to deny, there were a lot of canned shows with good plots, Boys Over Flowers as my personal favorite.  There were also those that are high in Fantasy.  However, what lessons are we teaching our Filipino viewers with these types of shows, especially the young ones?  Aren't we teaching them not to embrace the Philippine culture?  

Let us ask ourselves when did this K-Pop thingy came about?  Many of them go crazy over K-Pop fashion and stuff.  Even how hard they try to do so, they look trashy.  Of course, look at the type of fashion they wear.  Most of it were meant for the cold weather of Korea.  I pity these children, seeing them sweat underneath those garments.  Anyway, that's just one of the results I have observed with Korean Novelas invading Philippine television.

Secondly, with fantaseryes, we are teaching children to be escapists.  That whenever they encounter problems, there's Captain Barbel, Darna, and other super heroes to save them. 


On my way to work every night I get to watch Gma 7's Amaya.  At first I said to myself, okay I'll watch this because I didn't have a choice anyway.  I must entertain myself throughout my almost 2-hour travel.  Good thing almost all the drivers chose Gma 7's Amaya.  

First of all, the plot was interesting.  It's like studying Philippine culture in a story format.  There were native terms borrowed from the Visayas and Mindanao.  I'm not sure if the plot itself was from Visayas or Mindanao because in Visayas, as far as I can remember, there were no Datu and Rajas.  I'm sure these characters were taken from Mindanao.  Meanwhile, the term "ulipon" was familiar to me, so I would say this was Visayas.  As an ordinary Filipino viewer, with no expertise in Philippine culture, I would say that they collaborated  different beliefs of the Filipinos from Luzon, Visayas and Minadano.  

Production design was also very grandiose.  The premier of Amaya alone involved a huge casting, extending its production into the sea.  There were large boats, exactly how I pictured it out based on my high school text books.   Meanwhile, costumes were very detailed that registered very well on television.  

I am yet to look forward to more of Marian Rivera.  In this epicserye, she really is stunning.  I am sure Filipino viewers will agree with me.  I just hope she would tailor-fit her manner of speaking to her role, a Filipina so reserved.  I really find her very pretty in GMA 7's Amaya.  I hope she can justify not just a very promising role in this epicserye, but the production that is extravagantly fabulous.




Comments