You Say You're a Great Leader?

Lead by Example- this to me is one Basic Trait that all Leaders should display when handling a team.

In my workplace, we have so many Great Leaders managing various departments.  For now I would just have to say these are Great Leaders and for you to decipher if what they're showing are indeed traits of a Great Leader.   

Let's first zoom in to my department- Training Team.  Four months ago the company hired a new Training Manager.  According to his background, he has managed so many businesses particularly in the BPO industry.  From what I know a manager does the planning and Analysis, and create strategies that will close Training Gaps.  Good job to him, he does these things  in a satisfactory level.  

The big question mark in my mind right now is- if you are a manager, does it also mean you shouldn't have face time with your people?  You isolate yourself in the four corners of your room.  We are the training team; aren't we the ones who should be the most approachable individuals in the workplace?  We are the first individuals who welcome future members of the company.   

It has been four months since the day you joined the team.  I wonder how long is your onboarding phase. I think if you are a Great Leader, you should be able to confidently deal with other departments by now.  I wonder why you only choose the departments you want to collaborate with.  When asked why you're not facing these people, you said, "I'm reserving my presence only in difficult situations that require my attention."  Can a Great Leader be picky in his responsibilities?

Lastly, the trainers are very disciplined in attendance.  A five-minute late is a Red Flag in our department, as no one is there to replace you when everyone is handling a class.  Just imagine if a trainer is out sick- chaos right?  Trainers knew and understood the impact of an absence.  

One day you got sick, you were out for 4 days.  Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to that rest.  You have to recupirate to perform your tasks well when you report back to work.   On the 4th day of your absence I asked how you were.  You said your fever has gone down and you felt dizzy and sleepy that's why you can't report to work. Wait Wait Wait, you were feeling dizzy and sleepy?  I am so saddened to know that your tolerance level for pain is so low.  

Looks like you've forgotten what happened the week before.  Remember three of our trainers were out sick.  Two trainers reported even though they were having a high grade fever. One was sent home.  The other one was sent to ER because of her situation.  I can clearly recall how you were that day. Now, you're telling me you are not going to report to work because you are feeling dizzy and sleepy?  

This is really sad.  The trainers are now noticing your Great Leadership.  Even with them you still would like to isolate yourself?  When was the last time you visited the classes and introduced yourself?  You walk down the hall, will people know you're our Training Manager-definitely not. 

The ultimate Red Flag of all, one of the trainers approached you.  Yes, that day he had missed one important task.  His intentions were to let you know how sorry he was for his miss and would like to seek for someone to hear him.  I know this trainer has been so distracted lately.  What did you do?  You looked at him from head to toe and said, "No, go home."  How's that?  Is that a trait of a Great Leader?

Man, you just don't know how closely-knit this team is.  I tell you, these folks are intelligent and committed individuals.  Now, you disappoint or show Red Flag to anyone of them, I am 100% sure you will gain no Trust from neither one of them.


Comments