Hypochondriasis: It's all in the mind disease

Hypochondriasis is such an expensive sickness if you really come to think of it. You know why? I think my boyfriend has one. Although, I would like to admit that I myself have the tendency to have hypochondriasis- I'm just fighting it back.

For the past three months now, my boyfriend has been complaining awkward sensation, tremors, and pain (tolerable pain) on his left neck and head. According to him, pain occurs only on certain positions and movements. We've visited two neurologists since then because he feels that his signs are of Occipital Neuralgia.

"What the heck is Occipital Neuralgia," I asked.

Then, he started discussing it like an expert, that, this is a severe intolerable pain that you will feel on your upper neck, just right at the back of your ears. There is no strong documented trend that can explain the underlying cause of this disorder. Surprisingly, when I did my own research, Occipital Neuralgia is so far from what he is experiencing.

Persistent as he is to visit the doctor, I granted his request. I wasn’t surprised when these doctors said that his symptoms are not consistent. At the end his visit to the first doctor, she said it was just a plain and simple stiff neck that he was experiencing. Meanwhile, the doctor said, the symptoms that he is narrating are more of a panic attack. So, she went ahead and gave him xxxx.

I thought when the doctor said it was just a plain and simple stiff neck, my worries are over. I was wrong! Rather, he never stopped researching for the underlying cause of these recurring “tolerable” headaches he was feeling as well as the tremors on his left cheek. He again came up with another sickness; now it’s Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Woah! Not again! This time, instead of sympathizing to his situation, I got irritated. I almost got into a fight with him. Nevertheless, we still went to the doctor; it was his money anyway.

Again, for the second time, the result is the same. However, this time, not only did he get a confirmation that it wasn't Trigeminal Neuralgia, nor it was a Occipital Neuralgia, he received another bonus. This time, he paid the doctor for him to receive another lecture.

The doctor explained, he must have hypochondriasis. She added, people with hypochondriasis want to stay sick (in fact FEEL sick) all the time. If they receive a confirmation that what they are feeling is nothing really serious, they will again find another sickness to associate whatever they're feeling. As simple as stomach ache will have deeper interpretation for hypochondriacs.

Ultimately, I was alarmed when the doctor mentioned that people with hypochondriasis embrace their state of being sick (psychologically) because they want attention. Their lack of activities make them think of all these diseases. I would have to agree with what the doctor said because I find it true to my boyfriend's case.

At the moment he doesn't have a job. Everyday he stays at home and attend to my domestic needs. He is in-charge in organizing our home. Unfortunately, when I get home, I think the attention I give him is not enough. Thus, he is left with nothing but this hi-tech gadget, my laptop. The little knowledge he gets from the internet about these weird diseases made us spent a lot in his quest for answers.

The verdict: I instructed him to find a job, giving him a deadline. I said before the year ends, he must be able to find a new job. This way, he will not get paranoid with the minor involuntary movements of his muscles. At the same time, it will really save us a lot of money.

Let go of that feeling... It's all in the mind, I said.

Comments